USAF F-35A Lightning II flown by Captain Andrew "Dojo" Olson. 2019 Oregon Airshow.




F35 Lightning engaging Afterburner
2019 Oregon Airshow

Canon EOS 7D
Canon 100-400mm F4L @ 310mm
ISO 500
F13
1/1000 of a second

When shooting fast action, especially jet aircraft, its important to really crank up the shutter speed in order to freeze the action. For this shot, I had my camera in manual mode with the above settings. The only thing I did differently than usual was to set my camera to automatic ISO. This works out because the camera is allowed to choose the best ISO (How sensitive the camera is to light) to work with the other settings that I set the camera to. However, I should have limited the cameras ISO limit to prevent the ISO from getting too high. When the ISO is too high, than digital noise starts to become a factor, particularly with crop factor cameras such as the Canon 7D.


No comments: